When the weather starts to get cooler, my family gets excited for soup season! Today's recipe is one that I usually kick soup season off with - pumpkin chili. This delicious soup is adapted from Bri McKoy and includes canned pumpkin puree and pumpkin ale, which gives it a very subtle pumpkin flavor.
One of my favorite parts of this recipe is that it has a deceptive depth of flavor (owing in part to the inclusion of our Hot Italian and Sweet Italian sausage grillers). The soup seems like it would have been simmering away for hours, but it comes together in about 30 minutes!
Overall, all of my soup season criteria are met with this soup:
Delicious - check
Quick and easy - check
Family friendly- check
Additionally, if you are looking for a gluten-free soup recipe, you can use chicken stock in place of the ale (or use a gluten-free ale).
What you'll need for this recipe:
1 T olive oil
1 lb Stoltzfus Sweet Italian sausage grillers, casings removed
1 lb Stoltzfus Hot Italian sausage grillers, casings removed
1.5 cups (1 large) onion, chopped
1 cup sweet bell pepper, chopped
1.5 cups (3 large) carrots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 T chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1 T dried oregano
2 t salt
6 ounces pumpkin ale, or chicken stock
15 oz pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 cup chicken stock
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling, until the meat is almost completely cooked.
- Add onions, peppers, and carrots to the Dutch oven and cook until veggies are softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the spices and cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly add the pumpkin ale (or chicken stock) and deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom of the pan to release the brown bits. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with choice of shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, scallions, and cilantro.
As always, if you make this recipe, we would love to hear about it. Please let us know in the comments or be sure to tag us on social media. Thanks for joining us for Stoltzfus Eats… where feeding you is our pleasure!